Hot melt adhesives offer versatility when it comes to application on different materials. The following post focuses on one particular application: corrugated plastics and cardboard packaging assembly. This approach to packaging is widely used across different industries, including food and beverage manufacturers and distributors, packaging for e-commerce orders, and moving businesses. Read on to learn about these ubiquitous packaging materials, what types of hot melts and applicators are typically used in their construction, and some potential drawbacks for manufacturers.
What is Corrugated Packaging?
There are three main types of corrugated plastic that come in varied forms. They are laminated sheets, profile sheets, and honeycomb, also called bubble sheets. Additionally, individuals likely have encountered corrugated cardboard. It is a material consisting of a fluted corrugated sheet and one or two flat linerboards. Each is used in the production of different packaging containers, namely boxes and carrying cases.
The Benefits and Drawbacks of Corrugated Packaging
- Inexpensive to manufacture and assemble
- Versatility of use
- Will not absorb moisture (plastic packaging)
- Corrugated cardboard boxes are not weatherproof and may become deformed if exposed to too much moisture.
- Corrugated materials are not the best option for products that are heavy or need to be stacked as this will cause the boxes to collapse.
Hot Melts Adhesives and Applicators Ideal for Corrugated Package Assembly
Hot melt adhesives ideal for corrugated applications that we carry include:
Each of these glues offers strong bonds with difficult surfaces, as well as durability over the long-haul.
We encourage manufacturers to consider their production space, staff’s experience handling hot melts, and their budgets when selecting an appropriate piece of machinery. Below are some hot melt applicators that are well-suited for assembling corrugated plastic or cardboard packaging.
- Benchtop “Hands-Free” Units
- This line ensures quality packages are produced with a perfect hot melt bead on each carton, fast packaging with very simple operation, adhesive savings with a perfect glue bead, and safe gluing with handsfree operation.
- Hot Melt Roll Coaters
- Roll coaters allow for faster production speeds, accurate application, repeatable results, and better overall product quality. Built to last, these units are designed to exceed performance expectations while standing up to even the most grueling working environments.
- Industrial Hot Glue Guns
- Industrial hot glue guns embody the perfect mix of functionality, durability, and ease of use. Given these qualities, they make the application of hot melt to corrugated surfaces a breeze.
- PUR Hot Melt Machinery
- PUR hot melt machinery helps ensure a stronger than most other adhesives, including water-based adhesives as well as other hot melt adhesive formulations. This type of hot melt and applicator is ideal for corrugated plastic assembly.
Don’t Let Your Packaging Fall Apart with the Wrong Hot Melt Solution
The team at Glue Machinery Corporation is here to help corrugated packaging manufacturers identify, purchase, and maintain the right adhesives and applicators for their specific needs. Get started with our free, four-step Glue Diligence program.